PDA

View Full Version : Swollen Leg - please help!

Dunninio
04-03-2005, 05:06 AM
Hi,

I have a cat which I aquired from a friend about 6 months ago, which has recently developed some kind of problem with it's leg. The cat's lower leg and paw have swollen up and he is limping on it (not carrying it) , and he wil put some weight on it. He went to bed as normal one evening with my fiancee one night and when we awoke the following morning there was a small patch of blood and puss on our bed.

The cat is eating abut half a can of food per day (although he's always been the type to go through stages with his eating where sometimes he can't eat fast enough and others he's not really interested) and all other bodily functions seem pretty normal.

I am very concerned but I cannot get him into any kind of box to get him to a vet (we've tried towels, treats and many other things). We tried for 2 hours when we first descovered the problem and it just seemed to be putting the cat under a lot of pressure and forcing him to use the injured leg. When I have rung several vets they seems uninterested in coming to see him at home or offering any kind of help so we're pretty stuck.

I can't see any custs or marks on his leg and the cat is pretty much bright eyed otherwise, and not showing symptoms of feeling otherwise ill or anything. This has gone on for a few days now, and although the cat appears to be making a steady impovement I'm still concerned but don't know where to turn. The cat is about 10 years old and is mainly an indoor cat, with the odd venture outside.

Any advice on (a) what this might be? and (b)How to help him best?

Eagerly awaitng your response....

Kind Regards,

Karl

Sommelier
04-03-2005, 05:25 AM
May well be an infection. Your cat probably needs to have the wound in question lanced & drained... Followed by a cycle of antibiotics... Often these wounds can be hard to find.... Take the cat to a vet. It will be about $150 and the cat will be fine.....
Keep us posted....

Dunninio
04-03-2005, 06:13 AM
Thankis for the advice. Any suggestions on getting him to the vets? Having real difficulties geting him into a box, although as this is my first cat, I'm probably not tackling the problem particularly well.

Thanks,

Karl

Jennicat
04-03-2005, 10:58 AM
Our cat hates going into the carrier. We usually put a towel over his head so he can't see where he's going, pick him up, and then put him into his carrier. We had to get a huge one, btw, so that we could get furball into it. :)

It may be stressful for the cat, but I'm sure his wound is a LOT more stressful! :)

krazy4birds
04-04-2005, 12:31 AM
Please keep us updated with your cat and I do welcome you to Petlovers. Jennicat is right...your only option here is a visit to the vet!!

dawnhijna
03-30-2008, 03:53 AM
My cat right now has same problem, just noticed in fact came onto look for advice . As for taking to the vet. If I cant get my cat in a cage I lay out a shoping bag the new reusable ones that are material I put a cushy blanket in it and he will always jump in just because he is a cat LOL . I then just hold the top loosely shut because hes usually a bit afraid of the movement he just lays in their and has never tried to get out . throw a treat or two in the bag or whatever.
some may look at me like poor cat in a shoping bag but as long as he gets to the vet I dont care . Hes a very picky smart cat...... good luck

special
03-30-2008, 07:02 AM
My cat right now has same problem, just noticed in fact came onto look for advice . As for taking to the vet. If I cant get my cat in a cage I lay out a shoping bag the new reusable ones that are material I put a cushy blanket in it and he will always jump in just because he is a cat LOL . I then just hold the top loosely shut because hes usually a bit afraid of the movement he just lays in their and has never tried to get out . throw a treat or two in the bag or whatever.
some may look at me like poor cat in a shoping bag but as long as he gets to the vet I dont care . Hes a very picky smart cat...... good luck

welcome to petlovers, though I'm sorry your cat is having trouble.

If your cat is having trouble such as the other poster described (that thread is three years old, by the way) he may have an abscess and he needs to see a vet asap. Abscesses are extremely painful, they need to be kept open to heal and antibitocs are needed. Often an asbcess will even need a drain put in to keep it open. they must heal from the insde, out, to prevent recurrance.